Saturday, July 11, 2015

Lego City Layout: Modular Buildings

When I decided to build a layout, I knew I wanted the Modular Buildings to one of the focal points of the display.  I also new that I wanted them fully integrated onto the Lego road base-plates.



Most of the layouts I have seen online that include Modular buildings end up leaving the sets on their initial base-plate and then just expand the side walk out to cover the studded portions of the road base plate.  While this is a much easier way of doing it, it does not give me the look I am shooting for, so I knew I would need to re-base the Modular buildings.  I wanted to keep the buildings intact and use their existing sidewalk area, but have them built over the studded portion of the road base plates.



When you add in the 3 and 4 way intersection plates for the corner buildings, this gets even more complicated.  It means that each Modular building will need to be offset 6 studs forward and 6 studs to one side to fit onto the road plates, and that each building would now cover portions of four plates each.  It also meant meticulously disassembling the base portion of each building, its sidewalk and any floor coverings and relocating them to the offset space.  Its time consuming and can be pretty confusing, especially when you are using the original base as part of the new location at the same time you are still pulling pieces off of it.



The one downside to this design is that it leaves an odd space at the opposite end of the row of buildings from the corner building that wont fit another modular building, even the half size buildings that make up the 10218 Pet Shop.  So I decided to just use these blank spaces as brick built alley ways.  This design also leaves a larger space behind the buildings, which will allow me to run more track, either for storage, or attached to the main line to provide more siding traffic.


No comments:

Post a Comment