Saturday, July 11, 2015

Lego City Layout: Design Goals

With the modular bench-work for the layout coming together, I wanted to firm up my ideas for exactly what I wanted to do with the displays that would go on top of it.  My primary goal and inspiration came from classic Lionel train displays which tended to showcase the collectible sets themselves (trains, buildings and operating accessories) by bringing them together in a polished display that while somewhat realistic, preserves a bit of a toy-like feel.   I came up with a list of design principles and ideas that would govern how the layout would come together.  Here is a summary:

- Layout will include Lego City, Train and relevant Creator sets in an integrated display.  Most of the structures will be actual Lego kits and will be displayed mostly in their original form (where possible).  I will concentrate on using sets, no my own creations for the most part. As tempting as it might be, I will try not to integrate unrelated set themes (oh look, 10193 Medieval Market can represent a renaissance fair in my City layout!).  Having said that, nothing is complete without hiding pirates everywhere you can get away with it.

- I will be using the newer dark grey Lego road base-plates for most of the roads.  I love the dedication some people are able to put into brick built roads, but I have neither the patience, money or skill to do that, and I like the look of the base-plates just fine.

- The entire surface will be covered in base-plates of some sort, no exposed table top (except what peaks between the cracks).

- New Power Function based trains with corresponding plastic track.  I have some of the old 9V stuff, but I have far more PF equipment and its much more available, plus its easier to run multiple trains at the same time on the the track with the wireless PF controllers.

- I will use brick-built sidewalks modeled after the ones on the Creator Modular buildings as much as possible.

- Open back building sets will be used, as much as possible the backs will face a table edge.  On buildings that hinge and split open (for example, most creator building sets like 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe) the opening feature will be preserved so the interior can still be accessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment